Recognize the Symptoms of Gas Poisoning

Everyone is at risk of gas poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that inevitably leads to gas poisoning if you inhale it for too long. The only way for you to stay protected from gas poisoning is to be able to recognize it before it can damage your health or the health of your loved ones. In the following lines, we will teach you how to recognize the symptoms of gas poisoning. Therefore, continue to read if you are interested.

Where is carbon monoxide found?

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuel in cars, small engines, lanterns, stoves, fireplaces, grills, furnaces, or gas ranges. It can build up indoors and poison the people and animals who breathe it. Some household appliances that lead to gas poisoning are gas heaters and gas lawn mowers. This might surprise you because it’s not commonly known that they are dangerous appliances. The best way to prevent gas poisoning from gas heaters and gas lawn mowers is to replace them. Therefore, instead of using a gas heater during winter, use an infrared heater, and instead of using a gas lawn mower, use an electric lawn mower.

What are the symptoms of gas poisoning?

The most common symptoms of gas poisoning are dizziness, headaches, an upset stomach, weakness, chest pain, confusion, and vomiting. While these symptoms can be linked to other health problems as well, it’s smart to first suspect gas poisoning because it’s an odorless and colorless enemy. Therefore, instead of blaming these symptoms on the flu, check all of your gas appliances first because they might be the problem.

How to prevent gas poisoning in your home

To stay safe from gas poisoning, you have to prevent it from happening. There are a lot of ways in which you can prevent it, the first method being to replace gas heaters with infrared heaters, and gas lawn mowers with electric lawn mowers. We have already mentioned this in the upper lines. In case you smell an odor of gas from your gas refrigerator, call in an expert to repair the leak. If you have a chimney, make sure that you check it and clean it 1-2 times per year. Avoid burning charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal gives off huge amounts of carbon monoxide. Make sure that you never use a generator inside your home as well. The generator should be located at least 20 feet away from any window, door, or vent. For you to be sure that you don’t have carbon monoxide leaks in your home, use a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home. Place the detector where it will wake you up when the alarm sounds off in case there’s a problem. To be able to know the exact level of carbon monoxide in your home, buy a detector that has a digital readout.

Leave a Reply